Windhoek’s best recognized landmark, and something of an unofficial symbol of the city, this German Lutheran church stands on a traffic island and lords it over the city center
. This unusual building, which was constructed from local sandstone in 1907, was designed by architect Gottlieb Redecker in conflicting neo-Gothic and art nouveau styles. The resulting design looks strangely edible, and is somewhat reminiscent of a whimsical gingerbread house. The altarpiece, the Resurrection of Lazarus, is a copy of the renowned work by Rubens. To view the interior, pick up the key during business hours from the nearby church office on Peter Müller St.