Gross Barmen is located around 100 km from the capital city of Windhoek, nestled on the banks of a tributary of the Swakop River.
Set between rows of palm trees, green lawns, tennis courts, children’s playground and many pleasant walks, the resort is ideal for all ages.
Gross Barmen includes facilities for spa & wellness, fitness, recreation, and leisure. The main attraction of the resort is the health and hydro/medical spa center, featuring thermal springs and providing a full range of treatments, massages, and health activities for relaxation.
Additional attractions include sports facilities: a fully equipped gym, playground, game room, putt-putt course, and water theme park with waterslides for children. The accommodation options at Gross Barmen include recently refurbished family and bush chalet and camping sites.
Other amenities and facilities include indoor and outdoor thermal pools, conference facilities, restaurant, bar, shop, and a gas station.
The nearby dam attracts more than 150 different species of birds making it a hotspot for bird watching.
Additionally, the Von Bach Dam outside of Okahandja (25 km) is a major draw for water sport enthusiasts and anglers.
Originally known as Otjikango (Otjiherero: “large fountain”), the site was inhabited by the Herero people. When Wesleyan missionaries arrived in Windhoek in 1844 at the invitation of Jonker Afrikaner, Rhenish missionaries Carl Hugo Hahn and Franz Heinrich Kleinschmidt, already resident there since 1842, feared conflict and moved on to Otjikango. Here they established the first Rhenish mission station to the Herero in late 1844. They named the place Barmen after the town Barmen (today part of Wuppertal) in Germany where the headquarters of the Rhenish Missionary Society were located. The ruins of the missionary house are still visible.
At that time the road network in South-West Africa was being developed under the supervision, and at the initiative, of Jonker Afrikaner. Hahn and Kleinschmidt initiated the creation of a path from Windhoek to Barmen via Okahandja, and in 1850 this road, later known as Alter Baiweg (Old Bay Path), was extended via Otjimbingwe to Walvis Bay. This route developed into an important trade connection between the coast and Windhoek and was in use until 1900, when the railway line from Swakopmund was commissioned.
The mission station was operational until the start of Herero War in 1904. The settlement also had a police station at that time.
- Johann F. Heckmair
- Sky Aerial Imaging (Namibia) CC.